Skip to main content

Slow Cooker Beef Roast


A while back, I was on Studio 5 whipping up a classic, traditional, family-style recipe. I felt like it was really fun because I was able to share a recipe that took zero effort or even a glance at a recipe to make. I think those are the best recipes! They're ones we've tried, tested a million times, and prepare for our families on a monthly, and sometimes weekly, basis. 

Along with those stuffed shells (thank you for all the emails and messages about how successful it was in your kitchens! It completely has made my life!!!), this pot roast dish is something I remember eating so many times throughout my childhood. My Mom would place the mighty roast in her large black roasting pan (the piece of roast was definitely much larger than the ones I buy - but she had many more mouths to feed), seasoned it up with salt and plenty of pepper, and I remember the strong smell of the infused-vinegars she's drizzle all over the meat. A few hours later, after church, we'd come home to the incredible aroma of pot roast and baked potatoes. It smelled like Sunday afternoon, to me, and I LOVED it when we were able to gather around the family table at dinnertime and talk together while we filled our bellies with what she had cooked for us. 

My recipe is different, but the concept of the Classic Slow Cooked Beef Roast is still alive and vibrant throughout this dish. I've made it a million times since Ryan and I got married almost 8 years ago, and this is still my favorite way to prepare it. I know slow cooker recipes are usually pretty straight forward, but this one requires a couple of extra steps - don't worry, I have the photos for the steps to help you along the way. Let's jump in! 


First, we must prepare the meat by searing it. I had made my beef roast for years without doing this simple extra step, and when I started doing it, it made LOADS of difference in the overall taste and texture of the meat. 

I rub the surface of the entire roast with the steak seasoning. I have a special seasoning that I love using, because it's a tenderizer, and well as adds incredible flavor (not an ad, I just love this stuff!). It's called "Spade L Ranch" Beef Marinade and Seasoning. It's killer, and adds some really incredible flavors. 

After I rub the meat surface, I sear every side of the meat in a little oil - this adds more depth of flavor to the meat (like when you BBQ a hamburger on a grill vs. roasting it in the oven - the crispy char is really tasty). Watch out for little flecks of oil - it tends to splash out of the pan if the heat gets too hot, too quickly. 


I love using all these fresh earthy veggies - they are always on the less expensive side (which makes me feel better for splurging a bit more on a large piece of meat sometimes). Wash & chop them all up, and keep in mind that we want to cook them all evenly. So make the pieces as equal in size as possible. 


The bottom layer of the slow cooker is the onions. I love the onions adding a ton of flavor through the bottom of the roast during it's slow journey in the slow cooker. I place the seared beef roast on top. 


Next comes the carrots. I just place them around the onions and roast, simple as that. 

I know there's a fleet of people against "mix seasoning packets", but there's one I've used for a long time, and the flavors have never let me down. (Again, not an ad), it's the McCormick "Pot Roast" seasoning packet. I mix it up with beef stock, or even water, and pour it right over the carrots, onions, and most importantly, the beef roast. 


Between 5-8 hours later (depending on if you put your cooker on low or high heat), you have this amazing, savory, soaked-in-flavor beef roast. It will blow your minds, people. 


The meat is incredibly soft and tender, and shreds almost immediately when you touch it with a fork. 


The veggies aren't mushy, or all the same flavor, after cooking together for so long. They each compliment each other with the sweet carrots, the hearty potatoes, and the soft onions. It's something I love looking forward to after a long day at church on Sunday, and smells just like my childhood! Enjoy! 


Slow Cooker Classic Beef Roast
makes 4 servings

ingredients:
large beef roast, thawed (rump or chuck is fine)
2 T steak seasoning 
2 T olive oil
1 package McCormick pot roast mix (don't judge, it's good stuff)
2 C beef stock (or water)
1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
6 medium carrots, peeled, ends removed, and sliced into 1/2-inch coins
6 medium russet potatoes, washed & sliced into 1/2-inch coins

method:
1. In a larger saucepan over medium heat, slowly heat up olive oil. With your clean hands, rub the steak seasoning all over the surface of the beef roast, gently massaging them into the grains of the meat until all the seasoning is covering the roast. Wash hands, then place roast in the pan with giant tongs (watch out for splattering oil). Sear all sides of the roast until the outside of the roast is toasted on all sides. Set aside. 
2. In the bottom of the slow cooker, place the chopped onions, and then the roast on top of the onions. Toss in the carrots. 
3. Whisk the pot roast mix with the beef stock or water, then pour over the roast and carrots. Top with the chopped potatoes, Top with the lid, and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 5 hours. When finished, shred with a fork, and serve with the thick juices from the bottom of the slow cooker. 

Recipe source: Baking with Blondie

Comments

  1. Love the idea of searing it before. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow looks delish! Soft and juicy great share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Roasted beef is one of my favourite things which I like to eat in every party. So I had decided since long time that I will keep this item in my wedding menu items. The caterer of Chicago event venues really made yummy, crispy and cheesy roasted beef, everyone just loved my choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I love hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Green Smoothie Freezer Packets

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Zupas Chicken Pesto Sandwiches - Copycat Recipe

Turkey Club Tortilla Pinwheels

7-Layer Dip Tortilla Pinwheels

Roasted Red Pepper Potato Soup

Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Grape Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing

Chicken Crunch Wrap

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Fresh Blueberries

Almond Infused Cream Cheese Frosting